Friday, October 7, 2016

BCOB: Freshman Group Advising FAQ



If you are enrolled in BUSN 1101 for Fall 2016: An advising staff member will visit your BUSN 1101 class on October 17th or 18th.  That will serve as your Freshman Group Advising Session and your hold will be removed. Be sure to come to class on that day as attendance will be taken. Note, students in Dr. Kerr or Professor Speights sections will meet in CHHS 370 instead of their normal meeting location. Students in Professor Georgiou, McLemore, or Sheaf’s sections will meet in Friday 280.

If you are NOT enrolled in BUSN 1101 for Fall 2016: You must sign up to attend a Freshman Group Advising Session offered October 13th- 19th.  Check your email for the sign up link. After attending a session of your choice, your advising hold will be removed.


  1. I plan to change my major, do I still have to come?
Unless you change your major AND meet with your new advisor (who can remove your hold) prior to your registration time, you still need to attend. We would recommend that you attend BCOB Freshman Group Advising to be sure that your hold is removed and you are eligible to register on time.

  1. This is my sophomore year at UNCC, do I still have to come?
Yes. The University codes your status based on hours earned. All students with 29 or less earned hours (regardless of how many semesters you have been in college) are required to attend group advising.

  1. I already met with my advisor this semester, do I still have to come?
Yes. All students must come through group advising regardless of previous/future appointments with their academic advisor. Even if you attended a Freshman Visit, you must still attend a group advising session.

  1. I want to make an appointment with my advisor to discuss registration individually. Is that allowed?
No. All students must come through group advising before scheduling an individual appointment with your advisor. Individual appointments made between now and registration will be canceled unless you have already attended group advising.

  1. I have already completed BUSN 1101, do I still have to come?
Yes. Students must attend a group advising session each semester they have 29 or less hours. If you are not currently enrolled (Fall 2016) in the course and have less than 30 hours earned, you must sign up to attend a session.

  1. I will have more than 29 hrs with my classes this semester, do I still have to come?
Yes. You are required to come to group advising based on your currently earned hours. Classes that are in progress do not count.

  1. I am on probation/ an athlete/ part of 49er Focus, do I still have to come?
Yes. All students must come through group advising regardless of other connections with an academic advisor.

  1. None of these sign up times work for me, what should I do?
There are several sign up times available and notification has been sent 1-2 weeks in advance. You should adjust your schedule accordingly. If you still have problems, you must email Ms. Sigmon by October 17th for accommodations.

  1. I am part of BLC or BHP, do I still have to come?
Students in BLC are required to come to group advising, either through BUSN 1101 or a sign up group session. Students in BHP will attend group advising in BUSN 1101.

  1. What happens if I don’t come to a group advising session?
Your hold will not be removed and you cannot register on time. You will have to make an individual appointment with your advisor for your hold to be removed. November 7th (a week after registration begins) will be the earliest you can meet.

  1. What happens if I arrive late or need to leave group advising early?
Students arriving more than 10 minutes late or leaving 10 minutes prior to the session end time will not have their hold removed and will be asked to reschedule. Each session will last 1 hour and 15 minutes. Plan your schedule accordingly.

  1. What happens if I don’t come to class the day of group advising or I miss the session I sign up for?
You will need to sign up for a session and attend at a later date. Students who sign up and no show twice will be asked to make an individual appointment beginning November 7th.


For further questions or issues, please email Ms. Sigmon at allisonmsigmon@uncc.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment