Monday, April 27, 2020

Military Town to Queen City


By Cassie Chin-

When transferring from a community college to a university let alone UNC Charlotte, there are so many things that I would have liked to have known before becoming a Niner. I transferred from Coastal Carolina Community College in Jacksonville, NC which is a small town that has the largest military base on the east coast to one of the fastest growing cities in the nation where I didn’t know anyone. I toured 5 other universities before choosing UNCC and I haven’t regretted it since. There are many things that I wish I would have known before adventuring to the queen city but here are the main ones that stood out the most.


  1. Standards are as high as you want to make them
  2. You are going to make mistakes and that is completely ok
  3. Becoming a Niner will be one of the most memorable times in your life


Standards are as high as you want to make them. There are going to be so many people with different backgrounds that you have the opportunity to familiarize yourself with. Everyone will grow at their own pace but unfortunately it’s easy to compare your growth to others around you. I have faced this challenge immensely especially being a business major. What I do to avoid doing this is learn that soon enough, you will start to appreciate the diversity that the experiences and your classmates bring to your personal and professional growth. The students around you inspire you to be a better student, friend, and Niner.

You are going to make mistakes and that is COMPLETELY OK. Really, it is. I have made some mistakes in my short year and a half here but with my support system I never faced them alone. This included the life long friends I have made and the faculty and staff. The faculty and staff are here to help you in any way they can just like they helped me; from Career Services, Tutoring Center, Counseling Center, the list goes on. People aren’t lying when they say university is where you start to discover yourself.

Being a Niner will be one of the most memorable times in your life. A spontaneous car ride or light rail to the beautiful city with your friends, picking a random Tuesday to go to a cardio dance class, or even going to Noda to take pictures for instagram. With over 400 student organizations to choose from there will always be something made for you. There are hundreds of events that are hosted such as Homecoming, Professional Development Meetups, Career Fairs, and the International Festival. If I have not convinced you enough that UNC Charlotte is your university did I mention there's movies, UNCC gear, and group fitness classes, and they’re all free!! And that’s not even a sliver of the things that this university offers.  As a senior now, I wish I would have found this gem we call UNC Charlotte sooner but I have appreciated every person I have encountered and every experience that I’ve gone through, even the bad ones because once and Niner always a Niner, so throw your pickaxe up and come join the Niner Nation!

        

No comments:

Post a Comment