Monday, May 4, 2020

Balancing a Part-time Job and Academics


By Melisa Akduman-

Balancing a part-time job and managing academic coursework can be challenging at times, but also extremely rewarding. Take it from me, someone who has managed a part time job and a full course load for 3 years here at UNC Charlotte. I am thankful for the flexibility, coworkers, managers, and valuable work experience that my on campus jobs have provided me over the years. I have been able to build my resume, build valuable connections, and help pay my way through college. There have been times where I wanted to give up, feeling overwhelmed with stress, but these are the times where you will see a soar in personal growth. If you’re reading this, please consider working part time as a student. UNC Charlotte provides many opportunities such as internships, federal work study, and on campus jobs. You can even find one related to your major or career goals!

My time management and communication skills have grown immensely due to balancing work and school. It is crucial to keep up with deadlines and the syllabi in each class. Doing this makes sure that you are prioritizing assignments based on due date and time with regards to your other commitments. I like to keep a planner and write all of my deadlines in it. Find a way to stay organized and make it fun! You can color code, draw, or even create an online calendar using Google. Whatever works for you will be helpful in the long run, trust me!

You might be thinking, how on earth will I have a social life or “me” time with all of these commitments? I know I thought this at first. It’s perfectly okay to think this, as it may happen at first. It’s all about your mindset. If you are staying up to date on assignments and not procrastinating, something I’m guilty of, then you can very much have a social life, manage school, and work a part time job. If you are feeling overwhelmed, not able to finish your assignments, or getting little to no sleep, then it may be a good idea to cut back on your hours. Bottom line, school comes first. If a job is causing this to come second, then simply make adjustments. I was working 18 hours a week at my first on campus job. I found this to be way too much for what I knew I could handle, so I talked to my supervisor and we adjusted my schedule. Don’t be afraid to speak up, supervisors and managers will understand!

If you are considering working part-time while in school, I hope this helps a little. It can seem intimidating and strenuous at first, but it has been one of the best decisions I’ve made as a Niner. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at makduman@uncc.edu.

No comments:

Post a Comment