Friday, September 4, 2020

First Year Friday: Dave Broaddus

A big NINER NATION WELCOME to our new first year students! To help get you connected and involved, we'll be taking several Fridays this semester to highlight the first-year experience. Hear from students who started at UNC Charlotte in the Fall 2019 semester and how they rocked their first year!

First up... Dave Broaddus 

Name: Dave Broaddus  

Hometown: Akron, Ohio

Chose UNC Charlotte because... the school has a very good Business and Computer Science program and it also is in a great location in close proximity to many employers

Major: Marketing or Business Analytics and Computer Science 

Student Involvement: As a freshman I was involved in the Business Learning Community, Emerging Leaders, and Enactus as well. I am involved in many organizations such as the American Marketing Association, Association for Computing Machinery,  a Resident Advisor on the 5th floor of Levine Hall, and I am now a part of the Business Honors Program

Tips or things you wish you knew as a new student? As a freshman, I wish I knew more about opportunities for freshman that companies have such as freshman only internships, leadership summits, and more. I feel that as a freshman you may get the impression that internships and events are not tailored to you but there are tons of opportunities out there even for young students like freshman and sophomores. I would tell new students that they should get involved on campus early, make connections and meet people such as peers, faculty, and community leaders, they should take freshman year seriously in the classroom as it will make the rest of your college experience much easier when classes get tough, and find ways to get out of your comfort zone and do things that you wouldn't normally do before college.

Most beneficial class I've taken thus far...was ITSC 1212 which is Intro to Programming because I was unsure of how much I wanted to enter the software development realm coming into college but after taking that class I knew that I wanted to dive into Computer Science

Name a resource that's helped you be successful:  My Resident Advisor was a huge reason I was successful. He did a good job of reaching out to me and checking up on me constantly and he helped me grow as a student. The RA's on my floor was also the reason I joined Emerging Leaders which has spurred me to want to get into leadership positions on campus.

Thanks, Dave, for sharing your freshman experience with us. Good Luck as you start your sophomore year!

No comments:

Post a Comment