Monday, October 14, 2019

Keep your eyes open for opportunities at UNC Charlotte, they are everywhere

I remember sitting in the library outside of Pete’s Café with a coffee, studying for my Introduction to Operations Management course, when a UNC Charlotte mass email caught my eye. Like most of us, I don’t spend a lot of time reading through general emails, but the title ‘UN Millennium Fellows Cohort’ stood out to me. I’m so glad that I stopped to read the email. 

Becoming a Millennium Fellow
As it turns out, a couple of faculty members were looking for applicants to join a group whose focus was to create a service project for Charlotte. The group, or cohort, was tasked with creating a pitch to present to the United Nations in order to receive support, leadership training, and networking opportunities that would help bring the project to life.

The Perfect Opportunity
This unexpected opportunity came at the perfect time. I had recently declared my major and wanted to focus on local and global community service. The U.N. Millennium Fellowship program allowed me to create a project that I was passionate about. I couldn’t pass up an opportunity to create a service project that aligned with my interests.

Our Work
I applied and was chosen as one of the select few to represent UNC Charlotte. Our team decided to focus on quality education for all, one of the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals. The project is called the LIFE Skills Initiative and will be implemented into Title I high schools in the Charlotte area. Each letter of LIFE stands for an educational seminar: 
  • L for Lifestyle
  • I for Interpersonal
  • F for Financial
  • E for Education 
The United Nations liked the idea and UNC Charlotte was selected as one of the 6 percent of universities from around the globe to host the Millennium Fellowship program. 

I am currently working on the finance curriculum. Our plan is to bring in a financial education non-profit from Charlotte to speak about taxes, budgets, and loans. The other seminars will also bring in professional speakers. We will work with Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools and students to make sure the topics covered are relevant to what they need and want.

Your Next Opportunity
Do what you love and use what you learn to help others. In the past, I have measured the value of projects on what I could personally gain from them, and they often fell short. What I’ve learned so far is that a successful program or business is measured by the benefits that it brings others. Not only is UNC Charlotte teaching its students to improve the lives of others locally and globally, but it is also providing the opportunity to do so. Be sure to take a minute to read the titles of your emails before you delete them. Your next opportunity may be only a click away.

No comments:

Post a Comment