Friday, October 18, 2019

Transfer Students: Getting Involved


UNC Charlotte enrolls more transfer students than any school in North Carolina. Approximately half of the undergraduate population is made up of transfer students (https://admissions.uncc.edu/transfers). Due to this statistic, UNC Charlotte is committed to helping transfer students succeed. Continue reading to see how one of our students in the Belk College of Business has navigated her journey as a transfer student to successfully find her home at UNC Charlotte.


  1. What is your name, year and area of study?
My name is Cassandra Chin and I am a senior majoring in International Business and minoring in Applied Anthropology.

  1. Where did you transfer from?             
I transferred as an incoming Junior in Fall 2018 from Coastal Carolina Community College.

  1. What made you choose UNC Charlotte?
Previously I toured 5 other universities, UNC Charlotte was no one of those options then.   I soon realized after touring all of them none of them felt like a place where I can have a fresh start. Then one of my friends from Jacksonville mentioned UNC Charlotte and I looked into the area. Without even touring UNCC or even visiting the Charlotte area something was calling me towards the Queen City. Before I moved here I did a transfer tour and I fell in love everything that the school had to offer.  I made my decision based off of intuition and I haven’t regretted it since.

  1. What is the most significant difference between where you previously attended and UNC Charlotte?
The most significant difference from my previous school and here is the hustle and grind. At university you are independent and free to make your decisions that can impact the rest of your academic career. The same can be said about community college but at university since it is on a larger scale, there is more at stake. Which it can often intimidating at times but there has been an exponential personal growth since going through those times.

  1. Which campus organizations are you involved in?
Currently I am a sister in the Delta Kappa chapter of Chi Omega Fraternity, a member of Asian Student Association and Charlotte’s Anthropology Legion. As well as University Soup Kitchen.

  1. What advantages do you believe you have as a transfer student?
As a transfer student, the main advantage I think that differs us from traditional students is that we have previous college experience. Transfer students understand the basics of college/ university life. We put ourselves out of our comfort zones when we transfer. We understand that we need to meet to new people and adjust to a different environment just like we did with our first school.

  1. If you could go back to when you first transferred, is there anything that you would have done differently? If so, why?
To be honest, I wouldn’t change one thing about my transfer experience. The first semester was rough for me adjusting but looking back I became more resilient and confident in who I was and am currently.

  1. What advice do you have for transfer students who want to get involved but are not sure where to start?
There are a lot of students who pass you everyday to and from class, in class, and even in your dorm or apartment complex. Getting involved doesn’t always mean going to  Student Organization Events, which is highly beneficial but you can talk to people who surround you. As much it is uncomfortable and vulnerable to put yourself out there, you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. Ask yourself what interests you and what makes you genuinely happy. There are over 400+ student organizations here on campus. There will at least be one that sparks your interest and from there you can take a chance to open yourself up to new experiences, which is what university is here for.

  1. How has getting involved on campus played a role in your journey at UNC Charlotte thus far?
Being part of extra-curricular activities have helped expand my social group. It has forced me to be more open to new experiences and for that I have become a better version of myself. My growth as an individual, friend, sister, student, and employee, I couldn’t have done without the people I have surrounded with since my journey here in Charlotte.

  1. What was the best advice that you were given when you transferred to UNC Charlotte?
The best advice that has been given to me is how do you expect change if you keep doing the same routines in your life. Change your routines to see change and growth in whatever aspect of your life you want to focus on.     

No comments:

Post a Comment