Monday, October 28, 2019

Tips for Acing Your Next Presentation!

Betsabe Rojas Gonzalez is a Pre-Business student, Women in Business ambassador and a member of the Business Honors Program. She attended the annual North Carolina Honors Association Conference where she presented a poster of her research on ‘Domestic Violence Among Undocumented Workers.’ Rojas won third place for her presentation. 

How to Prepare for a Presentation


When I saw my abstract was accepted to be presented and compete at the conference I was so excited. It wasn’t until the day before I started getting nervous because I was so passionate about my project. I did not want to disappoint my counselors or my mentor. I then realized I was one of four UNC Charlotte students presenting and they were probably proud and happy that I had the courage to put myself out there. 

I kept thinking about all of the things I could say or do wrong, that could lead me to failing. Then, I remembered all of the work I had put into the project and how passionate I was about sharing my message. I took a breath and told myself that I knew my own project better than anybody else. This gave me confidence and helped me relax when I prepped for my presentation. 

Prepping for your presentation! 


When I started to prep, I would write down points I didn’t want to miss. I practiced saying lines that would impact my audience. Then I practiced my entire speech in my bedroom, where I could mess up and go back. 

On the day of the conference, I practiced one more time by myself. Whenever I am going to present something I try and hype myself up a little bit. I told myself I had rehearsed this and had something important to present. I told myself there was no way I was not prepared. This helped me have confidence in myself and be clear when presenting. 

During the presentation! 


When I finally started presenting my abstract I try to say as much as possible with the first person without going overboard. This helps me see how the audience reacts and note which parts would be the most impactful. As more people come to your abstract, you get a feel for which parts of your presentation are essential to comprehension and impact. It seems scary at first, but the more people you present to, the easier it gets. You work out all the little kinks after the first couple of people. You start to have fun and enjoy sharing your hard work with others. 

Self-coaching! 


Realizing and crediting how hard you have worked helps put you at ease. Coaching yourself to feel prepared and competent, will help boost your self esteem. The first time you present you will most likely be nervous and that’s okay! Everyone else is probably nervous too. Remember, presenting is not a test, you are there to share your project and have a fun experience!

- Betsabe Rojas-Gonzalez, Pre-Business, 2022 

No comments:

Post a Comment